[R129 SL] Hard ride

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 14 10:09:31 EST 2005

John, I bought my 1996 SL500 just over one year ago.  That ride problem might be traced to one or two of the MB innovations found on the 1996 model which control chassis height and shock firmness.  My SL is titled 1996 and has the 1996 owner's manual but was produced late in the model year.  Because of this the car came equipped with some 1997 features.  One of these features is the "level control switch and wheel change switch" found on the extreme left dash left of the headlamp switch.  This switch is not shown on my 1996 owners manual but is shown on the 1997 owners manual which I purchased (for some unknown reason) prior to my purchase of this car.  Using this switch actually raises or lowers the chassis using hydraulic fluid from a reservoir which is located in the next to the window washer fluid reservoir in the engine compartment.  I have no idea what effect too little fluid in this system would cause on ride harshness but if you have that feature installed on your vehicle it would be good to know about it.  Another feature worth looking into is the "adaptive damping system adjustment switch" (number 24 on page 10 of the owner's manual).  Cycling the damping switch and exploring the mechanics of this system might lead you in the right direction.

Whatever you finally find out about the problem please let us know because it sounds like important information to have.

Enjoy your "new" ride - George