[SPAM] RE: [R129 SL] Car folks stuff...

gregoiro@weststargroup.net r129list@mbcoupes.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:58:11 -0700

'93 MBZ 400E
'91 500SL
'76 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Winiker=20
  To: 'r129list@mbcoupes.com'=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 6:41 AM
  Subject: [SPAM] RE: [R129 SL] Car folks stuff...

  I've never responded to this list, but I do find many of the e-mails =
interesting, particularly these most recent comments concerning old vs. =
newer.  My family and I have driven Benzs exclusively since the 70s and =
continue to love them, with 9 currently between 4 households.  Truth be =
told we always buy used since the initial depreciation is outrageous, so =
I can't speak about anything newer than a 2001, but cars from the late =
90s should not be considered too much trouble.  The '96-2002 generation =
E, for example, is far superior to the previous generation E in my =
opinion.  Sacrilege!  Yes, I know from having owned 3 that the older =
ones ('86-'95) feel "tighter" and by '90 had slightly higher quality =
interior finishings (but even those were lamented as "kinda cheap" when =
the car debuted back in the mid-80s), but the mechanics and overall =
reliability of the newer generation Es are clearly superior.  The newer =
ones are bigger, considerably faster and deliver at least 50% better =
fuel economy in real world driving.  That's a pretty neat achievement, =
presumably attributable to advanced technology.  My father-in-law has a =
'98 E320 4matic with 198,000 kms (120,000-odd miles) with ABSOLUTELY NO =
mechanical repairs.  Motor, transmission, 4WD system, A/C, power =
windows...nor any other component has ever required repair.  A fluke? =
Perhaps, but I'll tell you, the old guy drives like a full-on maniac.  =
With mileage like that I can speak from experience that many previous =
generation Es would have required a head gasket, some may have required =
transmission repair, virtually all would have needed a complete A/C job =
(or two) and lets not even get started about the power window issue =
which took MB about 40 years to solve.  As for the 4matics, the early =
ones were a complete and well-documented fiasco, bad enough to knock =
them out of the North American market for 5 or 6.

  I'll concede spurious "Check Engine" lights have become a real scourge =
at MBs and other makers, and my '97 SL500 is no exception, but the =
general reliability my family has experienced with later-model cars is =
better than Benzs-past, especially as it concerns the major (re: =
"expensive") stuff.  Just my opinion, sorry for any agitation caused....

  Regards to all,
  Mike from T.O.