[R129 SL] Car folks stuff...

Michael Winiker r129list@mbcoupes.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:41:26 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C46A71.6CFBCBCA

I've never responded to this list, but I do find many of the e-mails
interesting, particularly these most recent comments concerning old vs.
newer.  My family and I have driven Benzs exclusively since the 70s and
continue to love them, with 9 currently between 4 households.  Truth be told
we always buy used since the initial depreciation is outrageous, so I can't
speak about anything newer than a 2001, but cars from the late 90s should
not be considered too much trouble.  The '96-2002 generation E, for example,
is far superior to the previous generation E in my opinion.  Sacrilege!
Yes, I know from having owned 3 that the older ones ('86-'95) feel "tighter"
and by '90 had slightly higher quality interior finishings (but even those
were lamented as "kinda cheap" when the car debuted back in the mid-80s),
but the mechanics and overall reliability of the newer generation Es are
clearly superior.  The newer ones are bigger, considerably faster and
deliver at least 50% better fuel economy in real world driving.  That's a
pretty neat achievement, presumably attributable to advanced technology.  My
father-in-law has a '98 E320 4matic with 198,000 kms (120,000-odd miles)
with ABSOLUTELY NO mechanical repairs.  Motor, transmission, 4WD system,
A/C, power windows...nor any other component has ever required repair.  A
fluke? Perhaps, but I'll tell you, the old guy drives like a full-on maniac.
With mileage like that I can speak from experience that many previous
generation Es would have required a head gasket, some may have required
transmission repair, virtually all would have needed a complete A/C job (or
two) and lets not even get started about the power window issue which took
MB about 40 years to solve.  As for the 4matics, the early ones were a
complete and well-documented fiasco, bad enough to knock them out of the
North American market for 5 or 6.

I'll concede spurious "Check Engine" lights have become a real scourge at
MBs and other makers, and my '97 SL500 is no exception, but the general
reliability my family has experienced with later-model cars is better than
Benzs-past, especially as it concerns the major (re: "expensive") stuff.
Just my opinion, sorry for any agitation caused....

Regards to all,
Mike from T.O.