[R129 SL] Car folks stuff...

r129list@mbcoupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:49:46 EDT

--part1_81.10527696.2e23f0fa_boundary

GC and all,
I have been driving high mileage Mercedes for 25 years now.  I usually buy
them in the 100k to 150k mile range and drive them for another 100k miles or
more.  I have done this numerous times and have believed that I have the same
amount of money "invested" in the Mercedes as I would have in a somewhat younger
or perhaps new American car.  I know the Mercedes is a safer and better drive
as I do a lot of driving.
The rule I have lived with is that the Mercedes depreciates at a rate of half
in 6 years with normal driving of 15-20k per year.  This half life continues
until you reach the point where condition and age dictate the value.  I have
driven a few beyond 300 k miles with no engine or trans problems.  I like to
maintain the cars myself and have had pretty good luck with them.  They do
require some repairs but nothing like a BMW.  I have tried a few of them and they
are EXPENSIVE.  I had to sell them to stop the bleeding.

I recently bought the 600 SEL with 39,000 miles on it and it was 10 years
old.  It sold for $25,000.  It originally cost $135,000.  I believe that comes
out to $2.82/ mile for the car.  THAT IS EXPENSIVE.  This was the newest and
lowest mile Mercedes I hav ever or probably will ever own.  It was a great deal
from a Mercedes dealer who was scared of the 600 and its serviceablity. He
wanted to sell it and NEVER see it again.  I have learned a lot about the car and
believe I am on the way to understanding how to make it a happy car once it
ever gets sick.  Some minor problems have been solved reasonably with a lot of
help from Alldata.

I vote for buying the 10 year old Mercedes with lowish miles, like 100k, and
driving it another 100 k miles.  That is a lot cheaper than going the new or
near new route.

Last year I bought my 91 300SL for $10k.  It needed a lot of little things
but drove well.  It has bit me a couple of times but I still have only $13k in
it.  It is perfect now.  It has 150k miles and I can drive it for a long time
and a bunch of miles and still get most of my money back out of it.

My 2cents.

Mike in Morgantown, PA

--part1_81.10527696.2e23f0fa_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">GC and all,<BR>
I have been driving high mileage Mercedes for 25 years now.&nbsp; I usually=20=
buy them in the 100k to 150k mile range and drive them for another 100k mile=
s or more.&nbsp; I have done this numerous times and have believed that I ha=
ve the same amount of money "invested" in the Mercedes as I would have in a=20=
somewhat younger or perhaps new American car.&nbsp; I know the Mercedes is a=
 safer and better drive as I do a lot of driving.&nbsp; <BR>
The rule I have lived with is that the Mercedes depreciates at a rate of hal=
f in 6 years with normal driving of 15-20k per year.&nbsp; This half life co=
ntinues until you reach the point where condition and age dictate the value.=
&nbsp; I have driven a few beyond 300 k miles with no engine or trans proble=
ms.&nbsp; I like to maintain the cars myself and have had pretty good luck w=
ith them.&nbsp; They do require some repairs but nothing like a BMW.&nbsp; I=
 have tried a few of them and they are EXPENSIVE.&nbsp; I had to sell them t=
o stop the bleeding.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I recently bought the 600 SEL with 39,000 miles on it and it was 10 years ol=
d.&nbsp; It sold for $25,000.&nbsp; It originally cost $135,000.&nbsp; I bel=
ieve that comes out to $2.82/ mile for the car.&nbsp; THAT IS EXPENSIVE.&nbs=
p; This was the newest and lowest mile Mercedes I hav ever or probably will=20=
ever own.&nbsp; It was a great deal from a Mercedes dealer who was scared of=
 the 600 and its serviceablity. He wanted to sell it and NEVER see it again.=
&nbsp; I have learned a lot about the car and believe I am on the way to und=
erstanding how to make it a happy car once it ever gets sick.&nbsp; Some min=
or problems have been solved reasonably with a lot of help from Alldata.<BR>
<BR>
I vote for buying the 10 year old Mercedes with lowish miles, like 100k, and=
 driving it another 100 k miles.&nbsp; That is a lot cheaper than going the=20=
new or near new route.<BR>
<BR>
Last year I bought my 91 300SL for $10k.&nbsp; It needed a lot of little thi=
ngs but drove well.&nbsp; It has bit me a couple of times but I still have o=
nly $13k in it.&nbsp; It is perfect now.&nbsp; It has 150k miles and I can d=
rive it for a long time and a bunch of miles and still get most of my money=20=
back out of it.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
My 2cents.<BR>
<BR>