[R129 SL] A little help

Cliff Sadler r129list@mbcoupes.com
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 00:51:46 -0400

read my previous posts about stumbling on a 1991 500SL. I also had the
symptom you speak of. Very unnerving at 80-90 MPH. Changing the plug wires
cured it for me.
I do still have an issue with the vehicle hard starting when hot, unless I
turn the key on, and wait for a few seconds before firing. That points to a
fuel accumulator that's not keeping pressure, resulting in a vapor lock(I
think).

The wires are not cheap, but I found a new set of Beru's at
www.speedycarparts.com for about 245.00

BEWARE, it's not easy to change the wires because these do not have the
screw on ends. You may spend more in labor getting this set in than having
your guy get new wire, new ends, the screw on terminals, and assembling them
himself. That's what MB makes their mechanics do according to Alldata.

my .03 (inflation)

-----Original Message-----
From: r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com [mailto:r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com]On
Behalf Of GREG CONTE
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 11:27 PM
To: r129list@mbcoupes.com
Subject: [R129 SL] A little help

I have an interesting one...

I recently acquired a wonderful 1991 500SL (triple black) but a little
glitch has started occurring.  After driving the car for about an hour
or so, the engine suddenly cuts out for a split second, then comes back
on.  When at a stop light, it just dies.  It starts right up, but this
goes on until I leave it for a few hours, then it is just fine.  I got
the car with a 12 month drivetrain warranty so I'm hoping, whatever it
is, it will be covered.  My mechanic, who is always up for a challenge,
wants to go on a fishing expedition to find the cause.  But I thought I
would see if anyone else has run across the same thing to save me a
little time.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Greg