[R129 SL] OT: HELP needed: PTFSS

Tom Reynolds r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:27:10 -0700

--=======36D4A6=======

(Post Traumatic Ferrari Sale Syndrome)

Two cars;
Car 1;
1989 Porsche 944S2.  Asking price was $9800.  Owner and wife are moving
back home to Australia, so he's accepting my "ballpark" budget of around
$8000.  Has 124k miles or so, has had the 120k service done (timing belt,
balance belts, tensioners, etc.) and I have photos of the car at
http://www.tomandkarenspage.com/944S2  The PPI is being done tomorrow.
This car will require transport to my house.

Car 2;
1989 Mazda RX7 GTU.  Asking price is $4000.  Owner just got married and
between them they had 8 vehicles and had to pare down.  Has just over 100k
miles.  Idle is high, as owner explained, because his wife needed it higher
to avoid stalling it from stop signs, traffic lights, etc.  Also, clutch's
friction point seems to be on the "high" side and I'm wondering if it can
be adjusted.  I've heard "yes" and "no" ("because it's hydraulic" ?) I've
also heard Mazda guys say avoid the 2nd generation as they are disposable
over 100k (except, they say, for the motor) and I've had Porsche guys say
"BTDT get the RX7, just as much fun, almost as fast, a lot cheaper to
maintain."

So, WTH, over?  I do now have a full time job (training starts tomorrow) so
I will have somewhat of a "maintenance fund" for whatever car I do
purchase, but of course I'd rather not be at the whim of (another) car.
So, feel free to express your opinions, I'm here, and "I'm listening."
:)
Best regards,
Tom Reynolds
Hereford, AZ