[R129 SL] Respect for loss of life and shuttle accident

Admin-MB Coupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 02:12:20 -0500

So what some of the select people on this list are saying is that just
because this is an MB-only discussion list, one shouldn't bring in
EXTRAORDINARY issues that affect all of us into the realm of discussion
right?

I recall that fatefall day in February of 1986 when the Challenger
accident occurred.  I was sitting in French class in high school when
the principal came over the PA and informed us all what had happened.
Everyone remained silent for a minute or so just trying to absorb the
gravity of what had just occurred.  Perhaps I should have yelled out,
"....CAN'T WE JUST TALK ABOUT FRENCH HERE AND LEAVE OUT THE NON-RELEVENT
WORLDLY MATTERS?!"  I probably would have been suspended from class.

So at the next formal medical conference I attend this coming week, or a
Ferrari enthusiast dinner, or a Basketball tournament, or any other
gathering of public relevence, when people hold a moment of silence to
remember those who perished and their dedication for the advancement of
science through personal sacrifice, I'll raise my hand and yell out,
"...CAN WE PLEASE STICK TO DISCUSSING MEDICAL X-RAYS, FERRARI
AUTOMOBILES, AND PLAYING BASKETBALL?!!  I DIDN'T COME HERE TO PAY MY
RESPECTS TO SOME DYING ASTRONAUTS, RATHER, I CAME HERE TO FORGET ABOUT
WORLDLY MATTERS!"  I'll scream that phrase at the top of my lungs to the
crowd at large.

....and feel like an ass as the hundreds of fellow attendees are
shocked, dismayed, and disgusted at my unprofessional courtesy and
attitude.

-Satish