[R129 SL] Newbie introduction

Admin-MB Coupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:02:13 -0500

All MBs may be shifted manually through the gear shifter.  The
transmissions are typically much more responsive this way.  The earlier
722.353 4-speed unit used from 1990-1992 then upgraded to the 722.364
4-speed from 1993-1995 all have reaction valves that communicate with
the ignition control unit to retard ignition timing for 400 milliseconds
for lightning-fast shifts if needed.  These are reliable units.

>From 1996+, the cars were all upgraded significantly, starting with
Bosch Motronic engine management and the excellend 722.620 5-speed
automatic transmission with winter mode (to lock out 1st gear start for
better winter traction).  Although those interested in such a mod for
pre-'96 models can buy the unit from me.

Good news is that all the silver SLs used the same paint code (with
exception to the Silver Arrow SLs).

Satish

-----Original Message-----
From: r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com [mailto:r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Reynolds
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 8:28 AM
To: r129list@mbcoupes.com
Subject: [R129 SL] Newbie introduction

Hello everyone,
        Just subscribed in order to get some feedback and information on
the R129 500SL/SL500 cars.  I have had 2 W124 cars (still have one) and
while up in Scottsdale yesterday saw an absolutely gorgeous/take breath
away/fixated LONG second look silver SL500.  Unfortunately did not see
the
owner(s) of the car.  It looked as though it might have larger
wheels/tires, but I didn't look, as I figured the last thing I needed at
that point was to start poking around the car trying to see tire sizes,
and have the alarm go off, and have half the Scottsdale Camelback Resort
security detail on my back.  :) Perhaps a lister's car?  Didn't get the
plate number,either, such a state I was in.
Anyway, I'd just like to know about gas mileage, performance stats,
etc., you know, typical road test information, where I can find it, if
it's posted on the 'net anywhere, etc.  Oh, and did any R129 500SL/SL500
have any  kind of "manually active" automatic transmission?  I'm in the
position where my darling wife (who hates to drive manual transmissions,
even hates to be IN cars with them) wants me to look at cars "for fun"
only with a manual trans, but something like a P-car Tiptronic might be
acceptable to me...

Thanks very much,
Tom Reynolds
Hereford, AZ