[LargeFormat] Taken with old Ektachrome

Malcolm Stewart malcolm_stewart at megalith.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 08:24:21 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Hemenway" <Jim at hemenway.com>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:45 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Taken with old Ektachrome

> Shot with a Symmar-S 6.8/360mm, and a Super-Symmar 5.6/210 XL-100
> Aspheric MC on 11x14 Ektachrome 100.
> Outdated as of 2002 and forgotten on a shelf for four months after
> removing it from the freezer.
> In addition to some color shifting, it had also lost half of it's speed,
> these were taken at 50 ISO.
> http://www.hemenway.com/Paxton-11x14
> I find that I now have to use the film within a few days of taking it
> out of the freezer, or else it deteriorates too quickly.
> Jim

Thanks for sharing.  I prefer the last shot, using the 360mm;   on the 210mm
shot, I'm too conscious of the corner fall-off*.  How did you scan your
11x14s (I assume that's inches!)  ?  *Reminds me of my Canon 5D with the EF
20 f2.8 at f4!  (At f2.8 it's far, far worse.)

Your comment makes me wonder whether I should re-refrigerate the Provia 100F
that I have loaded into film holders, and waiting for a good day!  My Provia
is dated for last August, kept refrigerated, and when used within a day of
cold storage, was doing fine 6 weeks ago.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Milton Keynes, UK