[LargeFormat] All at the LF Conference?

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 26 13:04:43 2004

I guess that many of you will be heading over to Monterey for the View
Camera Large Format Conference. Hope you have a great time and please let
us know all about it on your return. Needless to say - would have liked to
be there myself.

Hello Clive / everyone,

I was at the LF Conference. I'm very glad I went. I had a great time. But it wasn't due to the "Conference". :( I fear to say this but I was very disappointed by the conference itself. Most, not all, but most of the lectures were NOT very good. You would go to a lecture expecting to be educated but what you got was a commercial for a product.

This was the first conference I've ever been to so maybe this is what they are all like?? If so, I can look up products and info about them online and save myself a lot of money. As a new LF user I was hoping to learn something about using LF cameras. They didn't have ANY instruction on using a LF camera. I was hoping for a few tips. Something, anything, about LF cameras. From the conference, one would think they weren't interested in recruiting any new users. Doesn't the future of LF photography depend on handing the wonderful medium down to future generations?

My husband and I did have a nice time. We met Jim and Jennie Brick and they are wonderful. We went shooting with them and the money we spent for the conference was worth meeting them. Jim was very helpful with questions I had and more than willing to share his knowledge. THANKS JIM!

We also met Clyde and Niki Butcher. They were not scheduled speakers but did have a booth and were very friendly. Niki is a really neat lady. She shoots 5x7. She put her own photography on hold for Clyde. But that might be changing..... Wouldn't it be nice to see her work too?

Becky Lynn
Modesto, CA
www.becksphotography.50megs.com