[LargeFormat] Rotating Back Locks on Graflex RB Cameras

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 12 08:16:02 2004

At 09:37 21/03/2004 -0500, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Hi Clive:
>
>My "D" has a chrome button on the very back edge of the right side, just
>to the left of the shutter winding knob.  It's very stiff and takes more
>effort that one would expect to push it in far enough to rotate the
>back... which is a Graflok back as well.

Hello Jim,

My RB has the same arrangement but as a Graflok back has been retrofitted
many years before it came along to me, it may be the case that the
conversion compromised the action of the pin. I have just revisited this
thread as I was playing around with the RB to see if I could work out how
to remove the Graflok back to have a bit of a fettle.

At the moment, the pin moves freely and is sprung. It works perfectly in
stopping the back rotating counter-clockwise. Unfortunately it does not
appear to lock the back from turning clockwise. So, pressing the button in
allows the back to rotate counter-clockwise. Hmmmm......

Has anyone pulled one of these RB Camera backs apart?  Without looking too
closely, it is a bit of a mystery as to where to start. Anyone have any
experience or knowledge about how the pin actually works in locking the
back?  At the moment it is a bit of a pain to keep the back in the correct
position when handholding.