[LargeFormat] Graflex 120 6x9 Roll Holder Loading Question

LNPhoto largeformat@f32.net
Fri Feb 20 22:24:10 2004

>   LN answered the loading part of this question. The lever
> wind adaptors have small rollers adjacent to the film gate.
> These are supposed to hold the film against the back plate
> and keep it flat. I have both this and the older type
> holder, and a Calumet roll holder. I've looked at the
> surface of film in all three and can't see any difference. I
> think film flatness in any of them, adn in a lot of cameras
> too, depends on the curliness of the film and when it was
> wound. In most cameras the film is under some tension right
> after winding. This _may_ keep it flatter than it will be
> after it relaxes. I think most roll film cameras are
> designed on the assumption that the film wants to curl
> inward so that this curling will push it against the back
> plate. The same appears true of sheet film holders. It would
> be interesting if someone would make film surface contour
> measurements with a laser interferometer some time. That
> would show _exactly_ what was happening. An autocollimator
> can measure the position of the film in the center of the
> field but doesn't show surface contour. I suspect a lot of
> statements about film flatness in cameras is really
> guesswork.
>
>    BTW, Graflex used to make a thing called a "spring kit"
> for allowing spring back cameras to use Graflok type
> accessories. This was a set of two spring metal brackets
> which mount in place of the ground glass panel. I have a set
> for 4x5 cameras, it works pretty well. I think it should not
> be too difficult to make such a thing although I haven't
> tried it. However, I have just finished restoring a
> Miniature Speed Graphic and have a Graflex roll holder I
> want to use with it. Graflok backs were made for these
> cameras but are extremely rare and very expensive. Finding
> an actual Graflex spring kit is probably equally as
> difficult so I am thinking of how to makeshift one.
>
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com

I'll agree with every you say Richard, but I did have first hand
experience with film curl in a knob wind back on an XLSW.  The print
drove both the lab and myself nuts as we kept thinking it was the neg
popping in the enlarger.  There was no question is was VERY soft in the
corners.  Other times the same rig gave excellent results.  I can't
remember now if it was TMax film or Color neg but I finally decided
that the occasional bad shot was too great and moved on to maymia
backs. Haven't looked back.

Les