[LargeFormat] Graflex 120 6x9 Roll Holder Loading Question

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Feb 20 15:02:14 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "tripspud" <tripspud@transbay.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 7:02 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Graflex 120 6x9 Roll Holder Loading
Question

> Hi,
>
>      I've just recieved a Graflex 120 6x9 rollfilm holder
to use on my
> Polaroid MP-4 with the sliding head.  It has a Graflock
type back and
> lacked the two studs to hold it in with the springs on the
MP-4's sliding
> head.  I first tried cutting a bicycle spoke wire to hold
it, but I found that

> I could fudge it easy with the short end of a couple of
allen wrenches, and
> it's secure.  The Polaroid pack film holder that came with
the MP-4 has
> the short studs to hold it.  The allen wrenches can still
be used and the
> holder
> will still fit a 4x5 Gralfex with the Graflock back,
though I don't have one.

>      Anyway, does someone have a bookmark or pointer to
instructions for
cost a bit more than

> the knob wind earlier model, but are supposed to be better
at keeping the
> film flat.  If someone can explain why, I'm listening.
>
> Thanks everybody!
>
> Rich Lahrson
> Berkeley, California
> tripspud@transbay.net

  LN answered the loading part of this question. The lever
wind adaptors have small rollers adjacent to the film gate.
These are supposed to hold the film against the back plate
and keep it flat. I have both this and the older type
holder, and a Calumet roll holder. I've looked at the
surface of film in all three and can't see any difference. I
think film flatness in any of them, adn in a lot of cameras
too, depends on the curliness of the film and when it was
wound. In most cameras the film is under some tension right
after winding. This _may_ keep it flatter than it will be
after it relaxes. I think most roll film cameras are
designed on the assumption that the film wants to curl
inward so that this curling will push it against the back
plate. The same appears true of sheet film holders. It would
be interesting if someone would make film surface contour
measurements with a laser interferometer some time. That
would show _exactly_ what was happening. An autocollimator
can measure the position of the film in the center of the
field but doesn't show surface contour. I suspect a lot of
statements about film flatness in cameras is really
guesswork.

   BTW, Graflex used to make a thing called a "spring kit"
for allowing spring back cameras to use Graflok type
accessories. This was a set of two spring metal brackets
which mount in place of the ground glass panel. I have a set
for 4x5 cameras, it works pretty well. I think it should not
be too difficult to make such a thing although I haven't
tried it. However, I have just finished restoring a
Miniature Speed Graphic and have a Graflex roll holder I
want to use with it. Graflok backs were made for these
cameras but are extremely rare and very expensive. Finding
an actual Graflex spring kit is probably equally as
difficult so I am thinking of how to makeshift one.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com