[LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 4 14:42:16 2004

Hi Rich!
It is an interesting claim but I doubt such a camera is as simple/fast to
operate as e.g. the lightweight plastic Nikon f55 I bought my son .
Autofocus/autoexposure/autowind/zoom in or out and press the button.  It
takes a few seconds to fire a dozen shots. How long does it take you to
change darkslides with the 5x4 reflex?  Now if you were to argue that the
quality of a 10x8 enlargement from the 5x4 camera would wipe the floor with
the Nikon I would hasten to agree, but quick on the draw? Hardly. Portable?
Transportable for sure. (Mack truck)  We haven't spoken about value for
money but I don't see why that need enter into the debate - this is not a
column for cheap photography.  I guess the lack of wide-angle facility
limits it to standard lens or longer focus, so good in the studio or for
portraits.  Candid shots?  Secret pictures like a Minox? I'm joking.  It
certainly stops the chatter when it appears in public.  Philip