[LargeFormat] RE: IR photos from Marshfield Massachusetts

Diane Maher largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 26 20:54:01 2004

Michael,
I am confused with your IR pics.  It looks like you took the ones that
looked like they were IR and made them into 'normal' color shots.
There's not really anything that I see as being 'false color' about the
manipulated shots.  I do shoot IR film (both b/w & color) so I was just
curious.  Do you consider your originals to be 'stereotypical' IR shots?

Diane

A serene state of mind is a clear heart without ill feelings or a guilty
conscience.  It gives one the ability to surpass his own skills.
Schwarz Bruder - Mobile Fighter G-Gundam

-----Original Message-----
Message: 3
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:17:38 -0500
To: largeformat@f32.net
From: Michael Sullivan <michael@haywood-sullivan.com>
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] 480 Apo Nikkor Cell Spacing Question

Dear List,

Since people are showing off some recent photos, I thought I'd add mine.
Linked here
(http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/photography/IR-land/index.html) are two

images I took yesterday (Sunday) morning in Marshfield Massachusetts USA

around 8am.
It was about -2 deg F when I went out.

My setup:
Linhof Kardan Standard (4x5)
Gitzo Carbon Fibre tripod
IBM Thinkpad laptop (soon to be replaced with a G4 Powebook)
BetterLight Super 6k2 digital back (6000x8000 pixels)
24v lead-acid battery for above
Kodak Wratten A red filter
Schneider Super Symmar HM 120mm
Rodenstock Sironar-N 210mm

Both images were deliberately shot without the normal infrared blocking
filter.
In order to block out most of the blue, I used a Wratten A red filter.
As such, there was a red/cyan cast to the captured image -- sky was red,

foliage was cyan.
Due to the intense IR sensitivity of this chip, both test images were
shot
at f45 -- even with the red filter!
(it is clear I will need to invest in a set of ND filters asap)
Total capture time was approx 3 minutes.
File size was approx 137mb.

Images were then brought into Photoshop and the Red hue was made blue
and
the cyan hue was made orange, giving the false color infrared results
you
see here.

NOTE: I was planning on comparing images shot with a Heliopan 092 (an
almost black filter) but my fingers were freezing and I needed to get
back
into the van! As I understand it, the 092 would render an almost black
and
white image, which I'm not sure I'd like.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the surreal look I was after.
Yet I also wanted to avoid the stereotypical "infrared" look so common
these days.

Thoughts? Comments?

J Michael Sullivan