[LargeFormat] IR photos from Marshfield Massachusetts

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 26 16:36:28 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Georges Giralt wrote:

> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > To keep warm, I used my VW Vanagon running with the laptop INSIDE while
> > my camera/digital back was tethered about 15' away.
> >
> > You can see my van here:
> > http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon
> >
> > Note that my Vanagon is 4wd with off-road tires so going into the snow
> > is no problem
> > However, it was STILL cold even inside!!! (diesels don't generate lots
> > of extra heat!)
> >
> Hi Michael !
> Are you kidding ?
> Given, by law of thermodynamic, that the engine of your van gives only
> 30 % of the consumed power in mechanical energy, 70 % is converted in
> heat. You will know how much BHP it gives you. Easy to convert to kW and
> calculate the huge amount of heat it generate..... Maybe the radiator
> used to heat the cabin is a bit small... Or clogged.
> Regards !

The whole catch here is that the engine is just idling.  VW diesels are
quite efficient (I've done 67 miles per Cdn gallon in ours), even at an
idle.  It comes down to how much fuel is burnt.  Takes next to nothing to
keep the engine turning over - when the ambient temperature is as low as
it was in this case, heat loss to the air around the engine and to the
vehicle interior are significant.  Don't forget that the heater is just a
radiator inside the vehicle - the fan blows air past the radiator and
cools the engine.  Lots of cold air in a van... how well could you heat it
with a couple of candles?  Oh the highway at 100 km/hr, I'd be burning 70
or 75 ml per minute.  If I was simply idling... a fraction of that.  Not
much heat!
--
Brock Nanson Kamloops
BC Canada