[LargeFormat] Re:5x7 Press Graflex Film Holders..

tripspud largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 9 13:21:15 2004

Hi Richard!

      I spoke to Alan Brubaker on the phone yesterday, but it
appears he is back ordered and I would have to wait for holders
to be made.  He also makes large holders up to 20x24.  I've put
him in my address folder.

     About the 5x7 Press Graflex, this is my third Graflex reflex camera,
though the only one presently:

      The lens is a B&L Tessar 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 and seems like 10 inch focal length
and f4.5.  The package the camera came in weighed 12 lbs. and it was mostly
camera, so it's a big handfull.  Fortunately, you don't have to lift it to your face,
and it balances rather well at waist level using both hands.  The shutter lever is
on the left, use the thumb.  It's a thrill to see the image 5x7 without a focusing
cloth.

      About the film holders:  I see that inserting a standard 5x7 filmholder, it
looks like the light trap still works because the velvet lined rail is rather wide,
wider than the difference between the standard 5x7 holders and the 5x7
plate holder which came with the camera.

      So, it might be easier to modify the back, it's a groundglass back with a
folding hood just like the 4x5 Graflexes.  But first, I'll try using it without
modification with the standard 5x7 holders and see if it's light tight.  I have
to be careful to set the holder in the back.  I can't just jam it in quickly.

      Now, the $64,000 question is, is the film plane the same for the standard
5x7 holders as it was for this camera that was discontinued in 1923?  My guess
is yes.  I should remove the lens and get a rough measurement, but the lens is
screwed in, plus the plate holder is a different thickness than a film holder without
the plate and I don't have any 5x7 plates sitting around.

      I'll post again when I've checked with film.

Thanks everyone!

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net