[LargeFormat] Enough musclebuilding already

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 14 16:16:35 2003

At 08:33 PM 12/14/2003 +0000, philip lambert wrote:

>Does anybody know what is the lightest realistically usable 54 monorail?  I
>did have a Gowland but sold it as too sloppy, no datum zero lines, no rear
>rise/fall. no bag bellows. Currently I am exercising with a Sinar F1 and
>it's a good camera but sometimes I wonder whether I haven't overdosed on
>Swiss metal, so I would welcome advice on something easier to carry that
>does what a Sinar can.  Monorails are on Ebay from time to time at moderate
>prices (other than Linhof). Actually I had Linhofs and they were heavy and
>(in a whisper)- not as good as Sinar?  Philip

I use a Linhof Technikardan 45S which is much lighter than a Sinar. It
folds up into a flat pancake slipping neatly into my backpack, exactly
where my old Technika fit. And it is about the same weight, +/- a few
grams. It turns into a monorail that I use, with ease, my 55/4.5 Grandagon
all the way out to my 720mm Nikor.

After 45 years of 4x5's and 8x10's, this is my dream camera. Completely
capable of handling everything. A great studio camera and a great packable
outdoor camera.

It has levels top and side, and everything is degree marked and most have
zero detents. Regular and bag bellows that change in seconds. All possible
view/monorail camera movements are there.

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/linhoftk45s.htm

Jim