[LargeFormat] Anguloning for an Answer

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Tue Dec 2 08:53:06 2003

Dear Uncle Dick,
I have used a few 90mm Angulons and they have two virtues, light weight and
low price. They were in production for years.
The quality varied - the later ones were better.  You would stop down as
usual, which suggests quite a lot of flash powder.
There is minimal movement possible on 5x4 but for your dancers this would
hardly matter.  Unless they jumped very high.  Are they leapers?
SynchroCompur shutters are easily serviced, so a slightly slow shutter
should not deter.. What would matter to you is sharpness and  I suggest you
try a couple of lenses first or buy on approval.
I sent my last one to ffordes. It was near mint and not cheap so they
haven't sold it yet.  As I use a rollfilm back I prefer a small Mamiya 90mm
f3.5 re-mounted in a S.Compur shutter; it allows some movement on 6x7 and
gives a bright and sharp image. And it was cheap.
(As a rule if it is labelled "Super -----" it will be large heavy and dim -
if not dim then expensive)
Incidentally some of the 120mm Angulon f6.8s were quite good but heavier
than the 90mm.
Yours respectfully
nephew Philip