[LargeFormat] RE: Left side of the road country.

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 20 01:18:34 2003

What I find is that I naturally want to sit my butt in the same wheel rut,
regardless of which side of the car the steering wheel is on!  What that
means is that when I go to a RHD country, I tend to hug the shoulder.
After a few hours that tendency starts to go away, but I have to be aware
of it until it does!

I don't think I'd want to find out what my instinctive response to a
crisis would be.  Not sure which way I'd swerve, or if I'd wind up on the
wrong side of the road.

The wheel rut /butt cheeks problem isn't peculiar only to me... My first
trip to Australia lasted 8 hours.  Landed at midnight and by 8 AM my
travel buddy had fallen victim to this problem.  Asphalt was up several
inches from what little shoulder existed and when the left wheel dropped
over, he overcorrected, lost control, and found the only gum tree in the
field next to the road.  100 km/hr to zero faster than possible even with
ABS brakes.  Lined my side of the car up with the tree pretty well ;-) -
He walked away and I waited for the jaws of life.  There was a silver
lining - I met my future wife while in hospital!

I've driven many 1000 km's since that time without a problem, but
having been bitten once, I'm more than twice shy...

Brock