[LargeFormat] "Best" 4x5 enlarger?

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Nov 7 14:28:33 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@Abacurial.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 9:33 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] "Best" 4x5 enlarger?

> My camera club is considering buying an LF enlarger, and
is considering an
> Omega D2 or D2V.
>
> What do people recommend?
>
> tOM
>
> ----  Abacurial Information Management Consultants ----
> Tom A. Trottier, President http://abacurial.com
> 758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
> N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1 775 307-4133
> "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

  Beware that there were two versions of the Omega. The D-II
is the older one which does not have a crank-up lamphouse.
While these are capable of good performance I would
recommend avoiding them.
  The D-2 is the later version with a sturdier column and
crank up lamphouse.
  The D2V has an adjustable condenser system allowing it to
be used for all formats from 35mm to 4x5 without having to
use sets of condensers. This is a desirable model. Avoid the
plain D-2 unless it comes with a full set of condensers.
  Also note the D-5. This is a later deluxe version with
longer bellows which do not require lens cones for the
longer focal lengths. It also has some other refinements.
The D-6 is a simplified version.
  Omega is still in business and parts are available unlike
Durst which does not support its older models. The big
Dursts are definitely Rolls-Royce quality but you may have
serious problems if anything is missing or broken.
  I would also avoid the Omega D-3, which is the autofocus
version. It IS possible to get or even make the focusing
cams but I don't find the autofocus feature valuble enough
to justify the cost and fuss of making it work right.
  Omega D-II / D-2's of various vintages were the standard
school, newspaper, military enlarger for up to 4x5 for
decades.
  There is a web site somewhere which illustrates the
various models of Omega enlargers.
  BTW, the condenser system works very well. While Aristo
offers a cold light head for the D-2/D-5 it really isn't
necessary. I have one, bought new some years ago, and went
back to the original condenser system after working with it
for a time.

  Two sources of enlargers, repairs, and parts are:
Bob Watson  rwatson767@aol.com

Bob is very good and rather cheaper than:

Harry Taylor
Classic Enlargers
145 Jeanne Ct.
Stamford, CT  06903