[LargeFormat] Shutterless lens usage

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Fri Oct 17 21:14:24 2003

there is something called a country shutter.

I've made fancier versions , but the useful one is made up of a ruler
(or paint stick)
attached to an empty 4x5 film holder box, preferably a 50 sheet version.

It's long been rumored that the best boxes for this were the original
verichrome boxes made from virgin timber back in the 40s but I've found
common Tmax boxes work okay too.

the idea is to "hang" the shutter on the lens, carefully pull the
darkslide, pick up the handle and pull the box away from, but still in
front of the shuttre.  Now with a 'flick of the wrist"  lift up and
back.  With practice you can get it down to about 1/8 of a second.  I
made one for a portrait photographer friend with an LED light that
blinked off the seconds.  For fast lenses I've gone so far as to line
the box with velvet...darn black stuff.

Les