[LargeFormat] Removing black spots from prints

Paul Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 16 18:16:18 2003

> > In situations like this, I spot the negative - the
smallest
> > possible dot directly on top of the 'white spot'.  The
film
> > I use has a retouching base on the non-emulsion side and
> > retouch on that side.
>
> I'm beginning to consider this approach, much as I am
reluctant to touch the
> original neg.  Does anyone know if sheet FP4+ has a
retouching surface?  I
> don't think it does -- I scoured the data sheet from
Ilford, and didn't see
> any mention of it.

If you're reluctant to spot the original negative, you might
try this: take a sheet of clear plastic (or a sheet of fixed
out blank film) and affix it to the problem negative. If you
tape it to two opposite edges of the negative with narrow
tape, you can fix it in place without getting tape into the
image area of the negative.

Now, once you've got the extra sheet permanently registered,
go ahead and spot on the extra sheet.  If you blow it, strip
the extra sheet off, throw it away, and start over.

(you can also just strip the emulsion right off a sheet of
film.  I do it to botched exposures, fogged sheets of film,
etc.  One good way to strip the emulsion off is to use
Clorox.)

-Paul
www.butzi.net