[LargeFormat] Removing black spots from prints

Vincent Dobson largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 15 18:39:52 2003

On the spotting - it is easy - my suggestion.

Get the finest artist brush you can find from your local art supply store.
I think mine are 0000 (4 ought) and are scarcely more than a few hairs.  My
experience has been with colors but the same technique should apply w/ B&W.
You do not want to go too dark - use a stippling method (small dots) over
the entire area and gradually build it up until it matches.  Some use
pencils, but I would prefer spotting fluid because a pencil might make the
touch-up noticeable due to a different sheen.

I hear you on the digital - I'm anti-digital for a personal reason - They'll
have to pry my enlarger from my grasp to make me fit in my coffin!

Vince Dobson
Visions In Nature
www.VisionsInNature.com

>> and I have
:>little idea how it reacts to bleaching (nor spotting, for that matter --
:>it's never been my forte).  If it comes to it, I'd consider switching over
:>to fiber-based paper, I guess, but hope that isn't necessary.
:>
:>Digital workflow would solve it, but it's not an option, both for monetary
:>and personal preference reasons.
:>
:>One thing that's worrying me is the first of the batch that I
:>loaded for the
:>Yosemite trip...I haven't souped the others yet, as I wanted to ensure
:>everything was tickety-boo with my processing first.  Also, I've been both
:>unusually busy and not feeling all that terrific lately.  Don't
:>want to rush
:>nor fumble what may be the only negs I have of that perhaps
:>once-in-a-lifetime trip.
:>
:>God, I hate dust...
:>