[LargeFormat] Removing black spots from prints

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 15 17:56:37 2003

Don:

I don't make wet prints anymore.  I scan the film and use Photoshop to
fix any spots before printing on a 2200.

Not helpful to you I guess, so in your case I would either use a super
soft graphite pencil to spot on the emulsion side of your film, a 4B or
even a 6B if you can find one. One spots by tapping the pencil to leave
lots of little dots. Use any eye loupe or some extra strong reading
glasses, (about $20 for 3 at Costco). If the results are not what is
desired then erase and do it again.

Or, use the finest watercolor brush that you can find and some variously
diluted little batches of black ink on the print... spot the same way as
above, it takes practise.  I haven't done it in such a long time that I
can't tell you what kind of ink to use on RC paper but I used to use
india ink on the old Kodak fibre papers.

For what it may be worth, I use canned air when I load my 11x14 film
holders.  A spray on both sides of the holder with the darkslides
withdrawn and then once more after I've slid in the film but before
closing the dark slides.

Where is the dust coming from... oil heat or a wood stove?  Can you
control it?  How often do you vacuum your darkroom and/or sheet film

Jim, "Not Mister Clean himself" Hemenway