[LargeFormat] The Lost (Photo) Weekend more

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 2 08:28:13 2003

At 07:58 10/2/03 -0400, you wrote:

>Europeans and the Brits can use large format cameras on
>tripods, it seems.
>In New York City the police stop large format users
>from photographing as they may be "terrorists" searching
>for a place to do their dirty deeds, we are told.

         Even here in Canada,t he minute you pull out a tripod, you attract
attention, not always wanted.  I had a homeless guy threaten me once (even
though my back was to him), been asked to leave a mall (private property) -
basically, the "law"  seems to say once you setup any camera ona  tripod,
you are a "professional", and subject to  all sorts of rules and regs.

         It gets worse however - a fornt page article on the National Post
here in Canada talked aobut how a bunch of 8 & 10 year olds on a school
trip who tried to take a picutre of the gravestone fo Canada's 10th Prime
Minister were told by the cemetery staff this was not allowed without
permission.    Even thought he stone is in public view, the cemetery staff
said anything on the stone is "confidential".  yeah, i am sure such a thing
can be challenged in court, but realistically, who has either the money or
the time to do it?

         Dunno aobut the rest of you, but my "tripod" is the seat of park
benches, the tops of public garbage containers, the tops of fence posts,
and more.   While I would not do with with my monorail, but my crown &
super speed graphic work excellent in this regard.
         The opther option is a good monopod for the above two cameras,
easily extended & contracted, very portable.  Worth a thought.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem