[LargeFormat] Yankee Agitank Info

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Tue Sep 30 10:12:01 2003

Dear Craig,

    Sorry for the late response on this one. Your question about
Yankee/Doran tank usage with 4 x 5 film.....well, to be perfectly honest I
would not use this tank for modern films. At least if I intended to do any
agitation.

     The suggested pattern of sloshing just does not get enough developer
moving in enough directions ( with the possible exception of onto your
hands ) to give an even degree of development. Neither does pouring the lot
out and in again once every 2 minutes - you get a whole new set of flow
marks at the margins of the films.

    If you are into still development or other ancient exotics it might
work. I suspect that older emulsions and older developers must have been a
little different that our modern ones.

    I really would advise the HP Combiplan tank or the Jobo sheetfilm
system. Even the BTZS tube system works better than the Yankee.

    Uncle Dick