[LargeFormat] Batches*

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 20 11:28:30 2003

Why does more film area mean more colour saturation?   The stronger the
sunlight the more the colour saturation I can understand. Maybe the thicker
the emulsion the more the saturation (but modern films are thinner?)
>       For max detail in still life, architecture, landscape,
> illustration, even portraiture, more film area means more
> color saturation and detailed information/sharpness.  Cropping
> is more free in darkroom with more area to work with as well.
>
>      As films have improved over the years the need for
> really big negatives has decreased dramaticly.  Personally, I believe, if
you are going to put a camera
> on a tripod, bigger format is better.

Bigger may be better but you just said the need for really big negatives has
decreased dramatically because of film improvements.    Digital is the way
we shall all go - I read in today's Amateur Photographer that a certain Sony
digital camera with a format the size of a postage stamp can give sharp A3
enlargements. Handheld- no tripods needed.
 I wonder if you and I would like such a print. It gets sharpened up
digitally you know, unsharp mask, or photoshop something. No skill involved
so ideal.

But using a tripod makes for better results whether you are using 6x4.5cms
or 6x 4.5 inches.  Or 10x8.
I don't see how I could use a Sinar without a tripod- no way I could hand
hold it. . I use a Nikon F3 or F90X in the hand but the results are best on
a tripod.  Philip
.