[LargeFormat] Auto Graflex RB Model Identification

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 13 05:47:08 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 1:54 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Auto Graflex RB Model
Identification

> At 23:57 12/09/2003 -0400, LNphoto wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 05:17  PM, Clive Warren
wrote:
> >There were several models of Graflex that used the Auto
Graflex name let's
> >see if we can figure out which one this is...
> >
> >>Perhaps Les in tuned in and can answer this one as he is
a Graflex
> >>fan.  There is a new addition to the cameras here - a
4x5 Auto Graflex
> >>RB. The latest patent date on a plate on the bottom of
the camera is 1913.
> >That eliminates the original from '06 '08
> snip
> >The RB auto that was made from '21-41 had a folding bed
(very!)much like a
> >speed graphic.  It also had a similar standard that you
would pull
> >out.  Is this what you have?
> snip
> >>There is a detent that seems as though it should lock
the back in
> >>position. It certainly allows you to place the back in
the correct
> >>position but the back tends to rotate if you touch it
accidentally when
> >>using it handheld. There is a little sprung button on
the rear of the
> >>body that if pressed allows the back to revolve freely.
Maybe the button
> >>pin is worn down a bit?
> ><snip>
> >
> >It sounds like the the pin or the pin spring is worn.
> >
> >A couple of questions....
> >
> >Is the hinge for the top in front or in back?
> >
> >I'm not sure if Graflex always put serial numbers in the
same place....but
> >on some Graflexes, the serial number was stamped at
either the right or
> >the left side on the inside of the top, right next to the
chimney.

> Hello Les,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> There are no fabric "wings" on the lens cover as I have
seen on other
> models. The back is a more modern Graflok with a fresnel
screen GG that is
> definitely a later addition - there is a hole drilled for
a Speed/Crown
> Graphic flip up viewfinder.
>
> The front standard is on rails and extends from the body
on geared side
> rails that have a series of holes drilled in them -
presumably to reduce
> weight. Nothing like a folding Speed Graphic bed.
>
> The hinge for the viewing hood is at the back.
>
> The serial number is on the underside of the flip up
section that holds the
> lens cover and is 43705. There is a plate on the bottom of
the camera that
> extends across its width. It has the patent information
and is marked at
> the top, R.B. GRAFLEX. It was nickel plated but a lot of
that has worn off
> to show the brass underneath. There is a plate on the side
of the camera
> marked Auto Graflex with shutter speeds, but it may have
been relocated
> there from the viewing chimney as there are four small
holes and a mark
> that is the same size as the plate. I guess that a
previous owner became
> irritated with having to look away from the controls to
set shutter speeds.

> The flip up section is released by a button under the
front standard and is
> intended to allow lens boards to be removed/replaced. The
lens board is
> slotted in position and is supposed to be held in place by
a long flat
> spring - but mine just fell out together with a small
piece of wood :-)
> There is a small amount of remedial woodwork to be carried
out to sort the
> spring - probably will leave it as it is for a while as it
would require
> the whole standard to be disassembled.
>
> As for the rotating back, the pin spring seems fine so it
must be a worn
> pin. Is the pin supposed to hold the back in position
until you release it?
> That would make more sense to me.....
>
> The lens performs very well indeed. It is a Bausch and
Lomb No.13 double 16
> 1/8" Series VIIa Protar with combined focal length of 9
1/4" at f6.3  I
> took a shot at f11 to allow a hand-held shot at hopefully
the optimum
> aperture for the combined lens. The results were
excellent.

> Will try to grab some time to put some shots of the camera
up on the f32
> Forum. Any more information you can provide will be
gratefully received.

> It was definitely a shooters camera and has that lovely
patina from use. If
> I can sort out that pin to hold the back in position - if
it was intended
> to work this way - then it will again be well used. Any
pointers on how to
> disassemble the back would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>             Clive

  This sounds like an early model Auto Graflex.  The later
version called the R.B. Auto Graflex has a folding bed with
double focusing tracks. The bed is the front door of the
camera.
  The older Auto Graflex has a front similar to the later
Series D. front is a shallow box with a flap door on the
front. There are no wings on it as there are on the Series
D. These cameras have a fixed back, i.e. it does not rotate.
The speed chart is on the front of the focusing hood.
  This sounds like an old type Auto Graflex modified with
the revolving back of an R.B. Graflex and a Graflok back.
The Graflok back will fit several of the 4x5 Graflex
cameras. I have one on my Super-D.
   I was hoping to find some illustrations on the Graflex
site but it doesn't seem to be working now. Its worth a try
later. It may help identify what you have.
http://www.graflex.org
  I had a partial list of Graflex serial numbers from Roger
Adams but can't find them now.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA