[LargeFormat] Auto Graflex RB Model Identification

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 13 04:56:01 2003

At 23:57 12/09/2003 -0400, LNphoto wrote:

>On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 05:17  PM, Clive Warren wrote:
>There were several models of Graflex that used the Auto Graflex name let's
>see if we can figure out which one this is...
>
>>Perhaps Les in tuned in and can answer this one as he is a Graflex
>>fan.  There is a new addition to the cameras here - a 4x5 Auto Graflex
>>RB. The latest patent date on a plate on the bottom of the camera is 1913.
>That eliminates the original from '06 '08
snip
>The RB auto that was made from '21-41 had a folding bed (very!)much like a
>speed graphic.  It also had a similar standard that you would pull
>out.  Is this what you have?
snip
>>There is a detent that seems as though it should lock the back in
>>position. It certainly allows you to place the back in the correct
>>position but the back tends to rotate if you touch it accidentally when
>>using it handheld. There is a little sprung button on the rear of the
>>body that if pressed allows the back to revolve freely. Maybe the button
>>pin is worn down a bit?
><snip>
>
>It sounds like the the pin or the pin spring is worn.
>
>A couple of questions....
>
>Is the hinge for the top in front or in back?
>
>I'm not sure if Graflex always put serial numbers in the same place....but
>on some Graflexes, the serial number was stamped at either the right or
>the left side on the inside of the top, right next to the chimney.

Hello Les,

Thanks for your reply.

There are no fabric "wings" on the lens cover as I have seen on other
models. The back is a more modern Graflok with a fresnel screen GG that is
definitely a later addition - there is a hole drilled for a Speed/Crown
Graphic flip up viewfinder.

The front standard is on rails and extends from the body on geared side
rails that have a series of holes drilled in them - presumably to reduce
weight. Nothing like a folding Speed Graphic bed.

The hinge for the viewing hood is at the back.

The serial number is on the underside of the flip up section that holds the
lens cover and is 43705. There is a plate on the bottom of the camera that
extends across its width. It has the patent information and is marked at
the top, R.B. GRAFLEX. It was nickel plated but a lot of that has worn off
to show the brass underneath. There is a plate on the side of the camera
marked Auto Graflex with shutter speeds, but it may have been relocated
there from the viewing chimney as there are four small holes and a mark
that is the same size as the plate. I guess that a previous owner became
irritated with having to look away from the controls to set shutter speeds.

The flip up section is released by a button under the front standard and is
intended to allow lens boards to be removed/replaced. The lens board is
slotted in position and is supposed to be held in place by a long flat
spring - but mine just fell out together with a small piece of wood :-)
There is a small amount of remedial woodwork to be carried out to sort the
spring - probably will leave it as it is for a while as it would require
the whole standard to be disassembled.

As for the rotating back, the pin spring seems fine so it must be a worn
pin. Is the pin supposed to hold the back in position until you release it?
That would make more sense to me.....

The lens performs very well indeed. It is a Bausch and Lomb No.13 double 16
1/8" Series VIIa Protar with combined focal length of 9 1/4" at f6.3  I
took a shot at f11 to allow a hand-held shot at hopefully the optimum
aperture for the combined lens. The results were excellent.

Will try to grab some time to put some shots of the camera up on the f32
Forum. Any more information you can provide will be gratefully received.

It was definitely a shooters camera and has that lovely patina from use. If
I can sort out that pin to hold the back in position - if it was intended
to work this way - then it will again be well used. Any pointers on how to
disassemble the back would be appreciated.