[LargeFormat] Patching bellows pinholes

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 10 07:50:05 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Galway" <design@wizbot.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 4:17 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Patching bellows pinholes

Took possession of an ebay-bought 8x10 Kodak Master this
summer; the
bellows has a few to several pinholes at the corners at full
extension.

My 5x7 Ansco had similar problems which I was advised to fix
by using
black neoprene cement on the outside, the stuff they use to
repair
wetsuits. It worked fairly well, but reapplication was
necessary every
so often depending on use, and time of year (it works not so
well during
the cold winter months of course).

Are there any other tried and true patching methods? I'm
throwing a
darkcloth over the bellows, but until I can afford to
replace them I'd
like to have a fix on the bellows themselves.

If/when worse comes to worse, are there any North American,
preferably
Canadian, bellows makers? Is the whole camera generally sent
for repair,
or do I do the installation myself?

regards
David Galway
Twp. of Georgian Bay
Canada

  I've never found a sure fire method of patching bellows.
Once they start developing pin-holes it will just get worse
as the bellows are uses.
  I am appending a list of bellows makers below.
  Usually they do not need the whole camera but do need the
old bellows and bellows frames 9part of the bellows). Most
bellows are fairly easy to remove. I don't know how the
Kodak Master is constructed but reprint repair manuals are
available and advertised constantly on eBay.
  Some comments on the list below.
  English Bellows has had excellent reports. They are
reasonably priced and are the only one who will make bellows
of genuine leather if you wish.
  I had a bellows made by Flexible Products of Florida. The
service was fine but the workmanship left a lot to be
desired. I will not use them again.
  Turner Bellows reportedly makes excellent bellows by
damaged a friend's camera recently in the process of
replacing the bellows. If you can avoid it don't send the
entire camera to anyone.
  I have not seen the current Western Bellows product but
saw several a few years ago and they were excellent.
  Most modern bellows are made of synthetic material. It
doesn't have the elegance of leather but is much longer
lasting and needs no care.
  Call first and discuss what materials they use and what
exactly they want from you. Price for a typical 8x10 bellows
is around $200 except for specials like Deardorf which may
be more.

Camera Bellows
Unit 3-5
St. Pauls Road