[LargeFormat] Double Protar Lens

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 6 02:59:14 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Strauss" <ken.strauss@sympatico.ca>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 4:18 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Double Protar Lens

You frequently refer to Kingslake's book. I have his "Lenses
in Photography"
but he published many others; which do you find most useful?

  Rudolf Kingslake was a prolific writer. Virtually
everything he wrote is worth reading.
_Lenses in Photography_ is a good exposition of basic optics
as applied to photography. This was reprinted by the SPIE
but I couldn't find it just now. Worth another look.
 _A History of the Photographic Lens_ 1989, San Diego, The
Academic Press ISBN 0-12-408640-3
  Has been in and out of print. Don't know the current
status.
_The PHotographic Manufacturing Companies of Rochester, New
York_ 1997, George Eastman House  ISBN 0-935398-22-8 (pbk.)
  More technical books include:
_Applied Optics and Optical Engineering_ 1965, Academic
Press

  As someone mentioned Kingslake assembled the chapter on
lenses in _Handbook of Photography_ Henney and Dudley, 1939,
McGraw-Hill
  Its worth checking the cumulative index for the _Journal
of the Optical Society of America_ in which Kingslake
published numerous papers.
  He also published a number of articles in _History of
Photography_ a journal published in the 1960s through I
think the 1980s.
  A short version of the book on Rochester companies appears
on the web at:
http://www.cif.rochester.edu/~ardavis/history/kingslake.html

  A good short biography of Kingslake appears at:
http://oemagazine.com/fromTheMagazine/jul02/kingslake.html

 This has a at least a partial list of books but not papers.
He published at least seventy scientific papers during his
lifetime and numerous others on the history of lenses and
related subjects.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA