[LargeFormat] Double Protar Lens

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Mon Sep 1 22:22:13 2003

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 09:00  PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>  the "C" set lenses _are_ series
> VII Protar cells.

yep
>  The C set was sold by both Zeiss and B&L
> as four cells for 5x7 cameras.

well no three cells, but you figured that out in a later post.

> Zeiss may also have sold a
> similar set for 8x10.

> The Bausch & Lomb C set came with four
> Protar VII cells, a Compound shutter, a barrel, and a W.A.
> Protar (f/18) in a Volute shutter and an adaptor.

I can't say I've ever seen that particular set up in a catalog. I have
a few B&L catalogs, but most are limited to the "Anastigmats"  I have
them from 1911, 1913 and 1929.  The only one I can lay my hands on
right now is the 1911, and while it states the set comes in a case and
can be had in barrel, (101.00) volute (119.50) or Compound (117.50) for
the C set, it doesn't mention the Series V WA protar at all as part of
the set. neither do my other catalogs

>  The Zeiss set did  not come with the W.A. Protar.

Here's where I beg to differ as I have it in my hand,  well on the
shelf.  The case is set up as a casket set and is roughly 2x2x4" (I've
seen B&L sets on Ebay whose cases were leather wallets)  It's made of
walnut and stamped with the Zeiss-Jena  logo of a cemented doublet.
The serial numbers date the lenses to 1919-1920.  The barrel is marked
in mm but also with the barrel size in roman numerals that was the
topic of another thread some time ago. It also has the black brass
frame for the strong yellow filter that goes with the set, but the
glass isn't there. I've talked with a couple of people about having a
new filter ground to fit, but the price was prohibitive.

>   Complete boxed sets are extremely rare.

I paid $400 for it from Midwest Camera Exchange.... It was advertised
in their monthly newsletter and I RAN to the phone with credit card in
hand when I saw it.