[LargeFormat] Grafmatic film holders, by Wray Optical?!

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Aug 10 06:20:01 2003

At 09:44 08/08/2003 -0400, Les Newcomer wrote:
>I've recently come across an anomaly in my Graflex history  (something all
>to easy to do)
>
>It's a Graflex Grafmatic, identical in every way to the Rochester version,
>except it says "Made in England under license by Wray Optical Co" from
>Graflex Inc."   The plastic "front" of the drawer seems to be made of
>bakelite rather than thermo-plastic as it has that flakey look to it.
>
>Does anybody have any history on this?  There's a another one on ebay
>right now (in better condition naturally) that has British military
>markings (broad arrow and some numbers).  He also states that the Stereo
>Graphic of the 50s was made by Wray also.
>

>Can anybody confirm this?
>
>Les

Les,

Some of these Wray made Grafmatics also have the military arrow on them.
Wray made them under licence from Graflex, probably for military orders and
intended for use with the UK version of the Linhof and Graflex cameras - ie
MPP Technical and Press cameras. These were the camera of choice for many
branches of the UK military.

As with many things military, the Grafmatics eventually found their way
into civilian use. Wray probably also supplied them direct to the public
without the arrow marking.

Can't help you on the Stereo Graphic.