[LargeFormat] Re: Tips on Architecture photographs

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jul 14 14:42:31 2003

At 12:27 PM 7/14/2003, Vince Dobson wrote:
>There is a tree on a cliff in California that (I think) has been
>successfully trademarked - this is the only successful trademark of this
>type that comes to mind.

Yes, I was trying to remember that one. Point Loma, I think. My
recollection is that the court threw it out--you can use an image of a tree
as a trademark, but how can you use the tree itself? The same went for the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as I recall--they could trademark an image of
the building and use it as their trademark, but how would you use the
building itself as a trademark? My recollection is that the court found
that neither organization had actually used the tree or building as their
trademark, but only images of them, and thus ruled that the objects
themselves were not the trademark. But I really need to go back and check
it in Bert Krages' book.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com