[LargeFormat] Re: Tips on Architecture photographs

Gavin Hubbard largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 13 22:42:35 2003

Les said:

>If I remember the copyright law correctly, you can photograph a
>building while on public property for your own personal use. If there's
>a monetary gain through the use (or is it just sale?) of the
>photograph, then written permission is necessary.

This raises an interesting point. Depending on which country you are in, you are will certainly be infringing the copyright of the architect if you take unauthorised photographs of his/her building. In general, non specific streetscapes are allowed without permission but photographs of individual buildings are not.

IANAL - do we have anyone here who can explain these issues in greater depth (or provide a link)?

Best regards,

Gavin