[LargeFormat] Summer in the City

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 11 21:55:53 2003

>From: "Vincent Dobson" <manitec@bellsouth.net>
>To: <largeformat@f32.net>
>Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Tips on Architecture photographs
>Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:07:26 -0400

Initially, I thought signs on bridges that say "no picture taking on the
bridge" were silly.  You're driving a car, how are you going to take
pictures of the bridge?  Maybe its not so silly: you can study the picture
to get a better idea of how to bomb it.  And bombing bridges has always
been a respectable activity for revolutionaries and anarchists.  <g>  Fritz
the Cat got in on the act.

Among the list of permits, there's also one from the Transit Authority,
giving you permission to take pictures on the subway.  I've never been
stopped, though, without the permit.

More to the point, I have to find out what I like photographing and how to
do it.  I'll deal with the permits when time comes.

Thanks for all the tips.  I've ordered the McGrath book through Barnes and
Noble: same story as Amazon.  Its out of print but they can get it.

Getting a wide angle lens can be done.

I had an interesting photography experience this afternoon.  I was on my
way to Photo Gizzmo in Manhattan and while in Queensboro Plaza, had an
accident with a semi-tractor trailer.  We waited around for the police to
come and, I imagine, were the actual subjects of a radio transportation
report, "Traffic is snarled at Queensboro Plaza due to an accident.  Two of
three lanes are blocked."

The truck driver pulls out a disposable camera and takes some pictures of
the damage.  I, the serious amateur photographer, only have a Gandolfi and
no tripod.  *Note* always carry a usable camera in the car.  After the
police came and we disentangled our vehicles, I became determined to take
some pictures.  Check the sun, look the opposite way, nice composition from
under a subway station.  I rested the camera on top of my car, used maximum
shift rise, and shot away.  BTW, would the lens tilt have been useful?  I
tried it and it only made things worse.  Maybe its gotta be very very slight.

Police?  My car was blocking one lane of a very busy road, Northern
Boulevard.  A few drivers cussed me but no police could be seen.  Lesson:
if you do something outrageously uncivil, the police don't want to get
involved.

Dan