[LargeFormat] Linhof query

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 20 22:03:42 2003

Dear Neices and Nephews,

    I have been staring with longing at a secondhand Linhof Technika at a
local shop. It seems to fall somewhere between the Technika V and the Master
Technika - that little cat-flap at the front to let wideangle lenses rise is
present, but the bellows material is not the modern type. From what I gather
there is a lot of that transitional type of manufacturing at Linhof.
Progressive engineering, or making it up as you go along.

    What really puzzles me is the corrosion on the chrome surfaces. The
camera is well looked after - the leather panels are all in good nick and
the metal working parts are fine. But there is that persistant fine pitting
and verdigris about the chrome. It does not seem to be related to where the
camera was held or clamped - just all over.

    Is this common for Technikas seen in other parts of the world? Is it
common for one particular run? If it is a normal fault of chrome plating,
why do I not see it on old Leicas, Canons, Nikons, etc. Whay did Linhof not
use just a black plating or paint? Is there a cure?

    Answers please on the back of an electron to

     Uncle Dick