[LargeFormat] "Jumper's Choice

Karl Wolz largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 12 23:28:38 2003

> I have some doubts concerning whether all 65mm SAs cover
5x4 with a bit of
> movement.

  I have an older (chrome barrel) 65mm, f/8 S.A. It covers
4x5. I use it mainly on a Speed Graphic so there isn't much
movent available anyway. This is quite wide angle for 4x5,
the corners are definitely dark so a center filter would be
desirable, but that would be true of other lenses of this
focal length.

I have one of these gems, myself, and it covers 4x5 with a small bit of
movement.  Keep in mind that the full 4x5 dimensions aren't actually
used, as there is that part of the film covered by the edges of the
holder - only a couple mm, but still a bit smaller.

I've had shooters with far more experience than I tell me that the lens
does not cover, but I've used it successfully several times.

Images I've taken with the 65 f:8 show considerable falloff, but if they
are to be used full frame, the falloff can be viewed as an aesthetic
plus; sort of centering the image.  Sometime, I'd like to try with and
without a CF, but can't afford one right now.

Karl Wolz