[LargeFormat] Backpackable 4x5

Dave Hornford largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 8 19:34:59 2003

I use a Sinar Alpina with a custom rail (most of the time I use a Fujinon
90, so I don't need much rail). I love the camera - it has all the movements
I want, is sturdy & locks tight & has expensive replacement parts - what
more can I ask for? It doesn't pack down into a safe package. If I remove
the standards from the rail very small parts fall out, it has odd parts
awkwardly sticking out. It refuses to find a nice comfortable home in my
backpack. I look longingly at my Korona 5x7 every time I load my pack (I
have easily completed 7 minutes of the restoration project).

Kerry Thalman, who has spent a great deal of time with a LF camera in a
backpack, talks about a Toho (www.thalman.com, or some such).

If you have not assembled/disassembled your camera in the field be careful
what you ask for with something that can come apart. Dust is our common
opponent. Dust when backpacking our constant companion (or snow).

regards Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of Benno Jones
Sent: June 8, 2003 4:40 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] Backpackable 4x5

I'm sure this must have come up before, but a quick perusal of the list
archives did not turn up any promising message titles, so.....

I currently own an older Calumet monorail and a Crown Graphic, but need
something good for field work with as many movements as possible.  Rear
swing is a must for my personal photographic style, but I could probably
live without rear rise and fall or rear shift (although I'd rather it was
one or the other, not both).  I'm thinking probably more of a monorail
camera that can come apart and lie flat than a field camera, but I'd
consider a field camera if it had all the movements I need.  Long bellows
extension is also in the wish list as I do a lot of macro-type photography
as well.

Suggestion?  Recommendations?

Thanks, folks!

Benno Jones