[LargeFormat] 8x10 Cameras (was RE: Horseman or Gandolfi?)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 1 09:32:05 2003

At 00:19 01/06/2003 -0600, Tim Atherton wrote:
snip
>Diane, I recently got a Phillips 8x10 (after having a much vaunted, but to
>me, heavy and clunky Deardorff). There are some first impressions I wrote in
>the archives.
snip
>When I get time (possibly moving from one end of the country to the other
>soon...) I plan on a review for f32

Tim,

Good luck if you decide to make the move. Looking forward to an article on
the Phillips 8x10.

Which brings me on to some deliberations here on the way forwards for 8x10.
I have been keeping an eye open for some time for an 8x10 camera that will
do all I want yet still be light enough for field work. I have been tempted
by Deardorffs but buying one of these wonderful cameras at a distance is
not something I really want to consider given the prices they attract and
potential problems with bed wear and damage to the wood ie splits that
cannot be easily seen from a photo posted on the web.

There are two 8x10 cameras here that are in usable condition - a Korona and
a B&J. The B&J is great for studio work using strobes given its amazing
range of movements and bellows extension, but not really too practical for
a field camera if there is a stiff breeze (we have a lot of that here in
the UK). The Korona is ancient and fairly rigid but does not have front
tilt. You can get around this by using back tilt and adjusting the tripod
but this does take time and you end up with limited movements. I do have
another Korona 8x10 with front tilt but this is a restoration project in
terms of the woodwork even though the bellows are sound. If another
scrapper turns up then I have a solution.

I have recently been interested in metal 8x10s, the Kodak varieties seem
rather capable, however I do prefer the idea of a wooden camera rather than
the metal varieties for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.

Perhaps 8x10 users would like to share their experiences with their cameras
- there's nothing like first hand feedback. Both the good and the bad would
be useful.