[LargeFormat] RE: Horseman or Gandolfi?

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 1 02:20:37 2003

Stuart,

I've tried using a Sinar f1 in the field and did find it cumbersome (even
using it shooting around and in a building). But some people seem fine with
it. I think I could get by with an Arca - certainly for architecture.

I use a Toyo 45A for a lot of stuff - it's a good all round compromise at a
decent price, and tough as an old boot. I use lenses from 75mm to 250mm on
mine (250 being the longest I own - well I have a 12" Ektar but I've never
tried it on the Toyo). And yes, it does have some rear shift, (but I don't
remember how much off hand).

Another option is the Ebony RW - if you want beautiful AND functional, or a
Canham 4x5 for innovation. I would probably chose either of those two (or
the Toyo - cheaper, especially used) over the Horseman or Gandolfi - btw the
Gandolfis are still good, very good. Their 8x10 Variant would be my second
choice for 8x10.

Diane, I recently got a Phillips 8x10 (after having a much vaunted, but to
me, heavy and clunky Deardorff). There are some first impressions I wrote in
the archives.

Apart from the wait to get one, my views on it haven't changed yet - great
camera. There are compromises with the movements etc, but it's designed for
field use, not every single possibility you could ever think of and maybe
use twice in your life... But the simplicity, rigidity and light weight mean
I've already burned through more film in a similar period of time - it's
just easier to get out and about with..

When I get time (possibly moving from one end of the country to the other
soon...) I plan on a review for f32

tim