[LargeFormat] Giant Pinhole exhibition web site

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 1 06:28:23 2003

From: "Steven Cooke"

> Really like the sense of time which is captured in long exposures;

Thanks for the comments, Steve.
This actually is where photographer Spencer Tunick shot the sea of 2,500
naked people a year earlier...  If he and I had made our pictures at the
same time, he would have recorded the people and they would all have
disappeared from the long exposure in the pinhole picture...  As you
say, it's strange what photography does to reality...  -:)

>  How was the transparency image produced Guy? I found with long
> exposures on transparency that reciprocity compensation goes out the
> window and the film seems to take care of itself - is this what
> you've found?

Actually, this  was my first experience with using chrome film in my
pinhole photographic work.  For the occasion, I used a Fuji 400.  The
camera aperture was a fixed F/150 and exposure times were within a range
of 1 sec. to 90 sec. depending on where I was shooting in the gallery.
As I moved around the gallery, the mix of light between that from the
outside and  that from the ceiling spot lights would also change
significantly.  This of course affected the tone of the transparency but
I was expecting it.
What I found surprising was the amount of magenta that came through all
over the transparency, particularly in the shadow areas.
Do you have any suggestion as to what might have happened?  Is it a
normal feature of the film ( I don't do much transparency work)?

> Hope to see this on tour [if it gets to South America or the UK],

Hey..! This would be a terrific acheivement.  Any suggestions on
galleries that might be interested...  ?  -:)

Best regards,

Guy