[LargeFormat] Giant Pinhole exhibition web site

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 30 02:24:49 2003

Greetings,

For those who are interested, I have put together a small web site of my
recent exhibition in Montreal titled "Metropolis - Ville en Mutation"
http://pages.infinit.net/memfloue/metropolis.html

A particularly intriguing page of the web site shows a visit of the
Gallery in the form of a continuous image on 120 chrome film using a
pinhole camera that I use to create long sequences of overlapping
images.
http://pages.infinit.net/memfloue/metro04a.htm

This was the first time I displayed in a gallery the giant pinhole
photographs created last year from a hotel room converted into a giant
Camera Obscura.

I talked several times about this project on the list but for those who
had not read the posting, the image was projected on photographic paper
(3 adjacent bands of Ilford MGIV RC 50"x96" each) from a 1.8mm pinhole
with a focal lenght of about 40", yielding an aperture of F/560.
Exposure was 12hrs, beginning at midnight.

The exposed paper was processed as a paper-negative and subsequently
used to make a 150"x96" contact-positive (the 3 adjacent bands 50"x96"
being contact-printed in a single exposure).  This proved the most
challenging part of all this work.

Both images, negative and positive, show extremely good details.   Both
also seem to have a significant amount of distortion.  These distotions
are anamorphic in nature and disappear when the viewer stands exactly
where the pinhole was located in relation to the image...

The exhibition included an additional 15 prints (pinhole and lens,
large-format and 35mm) of the cityscape.  These were "lith printed",
thus creating a slightly hawkward feeling that these were vintage
photographs displaying contemporaneous architecture.

The exhibition attracted a lot of visitors and a lot of positive
comments, to the point that it was extended from its original 1-week
showing to 3 weeks!

Feel free to send me any comments you may have on- or off-list,

Best regards,

Guy Glorieux