[LargeFormat] Shutterless Exposure Recommendations

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 26 23:48:09 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benno Jones" <benno@bjonesphoto.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 7:14 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Shutterless Exposure Recommendations

> I plan on getting 1 or 2 barrel lenses to use with my B&J
8x10.  I have
> never used a shutterless lens and was hoping to round up
some ideas on how
> those of you who use barrel lenses control your exposure.
I often take
> fairly close shots, so my bellows will often be extended
fairly far and to
> pull the dark slide on the film holder with one hand while
holding something
> dark over the lens with the other sounds like a disaster
waiting to happen
> for klutzy me.
>
> Thanks for the help as always.
>
> Benno Jones
> www.bjonesphoto.com

  the best way of dealing with barrel lenses is to get a
shutter which can be used as a back shutter. The cheapest is
a Packard shutter. They are still available new and
occasionally show up used on eBay and elswhere. This is a
simple one-speed and time shutter mounted on the back of the
lens board. One can be mounted on a lensboard with an
adaptor to take smaller boards so that any number of lenses
can be mounted on the same shutter. Of course, a Packard can
be used with a single lens if desired, but it is economical
with either Packard or standard shutters to be able to mount
multiple lenses on them.
  One can also have a mounting made for a standard type
large shutter so that it will take lensboards with barrel
lenses. I have a No.5 Ilex Universal set up this way.
  Packard shutters are at: http://www.hubphoto.com
  The partner of the late Steve Grimes (was that a shock) is
still operating his business and can modify regular shutters
for front mounting.
  There are occasional lenses requiring front mounting but
they are rare.
 The cost of remounting a barrel lens in a shutter is IMHO
uneconomical for most lenses.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA