[LargeFormat] OT: Latin transliation was View Camera Magazine ad info ques?

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 14 13:14:05 2003

At 10:13 PM 4/13/2003, you wrote:
>One visit I had a little extra time, and immediately thought that the Latin
>I had taken the first two years of college had gotten so rusty that I was
>re-writing the language.  Later I went to the clerk, and after remembering
>that the students were indeed college age kids, I thought my chuckling would
>crack a rib  when she said "You translated it correctly, it means  'Don't
>let the bastards get you down.'"

Of course, "illegitimus" is singular, not plural. :-)

The "bastard" Latin that is similar to this that I've often seen is "Nil
illegitimi carborundum," which is, of course, "Don't let the bastards grind
you down." Then there's "De gustibus non disputandem est" which R. Heinlein
translated as "There is no disputing that Gus is in the east."

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com