[LargeFormat] OT: Latin transliation was View Camera Magazine ad info ques?

Lloyd Schultz largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 14 00:15:18 2003

Still haven't gotten through to View Camera RE back page ad.  If anyone
knows, let us know...please.  I assume it is a mistake and not a marketing
ploy.

For those asking about the Latin signature tag line, here is the most
concise version of what it is and where I saw it first:

  I started to frequent the Nashotah Episcopal Seminary Bookstore here in
Wisconsin several years ago (hard for me to pass up almost any book store)
and noticed the saying on several of the school items including T-shirts,
sweatshirts, coffee mugs, etc. and without reading it thought it was the
school motto or something.

One visit I had a little extra time, and immediately thought that the Latin
I had taken the first two years of college had gotten so rusty that I was
re-writing the language.  Later I went to the clerk, and after remembering
that the students were indeed college age kids, I thought my chuckling would
crack a rib  when she said "You translated it correctly, it means  'Don't
let the bastards get you down.'"

Of course, as soon as I mentioned it to the two high schoolers in my family,
they had to run over and by a couple T-shirts each.

Lloyd
Lschultz2@nconnect.net

Nollite illegitimus contarere vos