[LargeFormat] Expanding and Contracting Ilford FP4+

Steven Cooke largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 10 23:34:02 2003

Hi

 if you're talking tonal ranges then the best I've found with FP4 is
ID11 [or d76 if still available] diluted from stock 1:3 [water] and
rate the film at 200 asa. Looks more like Tri-x but without the
really warm mid range, but the tonal range is longer than standard
development and it has more bite, or a slightly higher gamma than
normal development. Tonal seperation is also much better than
standard dev time. You must use it as a one shot dev though or you
loose the bite. I use this a lot with 35mm and blow up to 16x20 -
20x30 at a push and it still holds together. Don't like HP5
[personally] it's a bit crude compared to the re-rated FP4 or lovely
old Tri-x.

cheers  Steve C.