[LargeFormat] re tripods

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 12 19:12:16 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "philip.lambert" <philip.lambert@ntlworld.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 9:32 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] re tripods

> I would be glad of some practical advice how to update an
early tripod
> unpacked this morning (ebay), whose legs each consist of a
pair of oak laths
> bracketed together, pivoted at the top beside the tripod
bush and clamped at
> the foot to retain the sliding lower legs.  At first I
thought the latter
> were made from straight beech but when I put my glasses on
I found they were
> made of rusting recycled Iron-age spears 5/8" diameter,
30" long and quite
> nasty at one end but rubbery at the other.
> The point on which advice is sought is whether I can
replace this old iron
> with wooden 5/8" dowel or ramin, lighter and longer than
the originals.
> This, if it works, would give me a higher tripod and
lighter.  There is no
> central column, just a jammed pan and tilt head easily
replaced by one of my
> Manfrotto doorstops.
> If wood works for the lower leg, what do I make the bottom
ferrule out of?
> Should I use a brass round screw head or would a point
make a better job?
> If so, how would I contrive one?
> Thank you for your support. Philip
>
> Even Uncle Dick's  bush-dentist tips would be
considered.........

  This sounds very much like a Reis tripod. They are still
made, I believe Calumet Photo handles them and perhaps could
put you in touch with the manufacturer. If it is a Reis new
parts may be available.
 I couldn't find any photos using Google but they turn up
occasionally on eBay so there may be a photo there.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com