[LargeFormat] re tripods

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 12 13:10:03 2003

Philip:

5/8" dowels may be strong enough for 4x5 but I wouldn't use them for a
larger camera... maybe 3/4" or 7/8".

Try a hardware store for ferrules made for wooden canes. They're getting
harder to find because of the aluminum canes used nowadays.  Go to an
area where there's a lot of old folks.  The last time that I bought any,
(7+ years ago) I found them at a hardware store near Coolidge Corner,
then the "old lady capital of the world"... in Brookline, Massachusetts.

Actually, the rubber tips sold for canes are easier to find and would
probably do just as well.

--
Jim - http://www.hemenway.com